1986 VF1000R - Suggestions

Bikes and Bits, if it's for sale this is the place to be.

Moderator: VF1000R

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Skippy

Hello,

New to the board as I signed up to get some feedback.

I have a 1986 VF1000R that has been sitting four about 15 years. Usual story, got married, rode it a couple years into the marriage, but then parked it and unfortunately just let it sit the 15 years.

The bike ran well before I parked it, but it would need some work to get it back on the road. It's in good condition, a few minor scratches, needs new handle bar grips, new front tire, and whatever maintenance from sitting so many years.

The bike also has not been registered during the time it's been sitting, so not sure what hoops there may be to get it legal again.

So, I'm wondering if there would be any interest in the bike? How much should I expect to be able to get for it? Anything else I should look into or consider?

I went out and knocked off some of the dust to take a couple pics to give a little better idea of the bikes cosmetic condition.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p7ypuulz49hyf ... I.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmc0x2z62oikx ... I.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6m1cbe1qjj85 ... I.jpg?dl=0
*Edit: images didn't work so I added links.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Glenn
nigelrb

Sorry about late reply.

Sadly, this is a very quiet forum.

Looks like an American import which is not as favoured as the UK/Euro models. Despite that though, looks in very good condition and with a proper few hour detail will come up trumps.

For serviceability, the fuel tank and carbs, fuel filters, lines will have to be drained and cleaned. Fuel has probably turned to varnish by now and there's a possibility of moisture in the system also. Fork seals have probably perished, brake fluid will need replacing, tyres, and the list goes on.

If you still have the original reg plate you can probably get it MoTd under that number - especially so if the bike was on SORN.

As for price, there have been real horrors selling in the 5K region and good ones with low miles in the 7 - 8 mark, exceptional ones up to 10K, although the 10K buyer will be a particular enthusiast and want the bike 100% complete and running.

Without wishing to insult, my reasonable opinion that in an 'as is' state you'd expect to receive 3,500 to 4,000, and running with MoT and evidence of recommissioning 6 - 7,000.
Skippy

Thank you for the reply.

I have to apologize, but I'm not familiar with "MoT" and "SORN"?

You're correct, it is an American bike as I live in the Sacramento, CA area in the US.

The prices you've indicated, are those in US Dollars? Also, when you say there have been "real horrors" selling in the 5K region, are you referring to the condition of the bikes as "real horrors"?

So, you think it's worth, as it sits now, $3,500 to $4,000? (By the way, no insult taken. I appreciate straight forward honest information.) If so, that's much more that I would have thought. If there's anyone willing to buy it, I'd be willing to let it go for less.

If there's anyone in this community that's interested, I would prefer to sell it to someone here. If not, then I'll likely have to put it up on craigslist.org.

Thanks,
Glenn
RC30FREAK

Hey Glenn ,

The board here is very quiet . You would get better results going on Facebook and joining the 3 Forums on there . I have parts available if you need or your future client needs . The $$ referred was in GBP by Nigel . The bikes are worth at least twice as much as you (US) and me in Canada . Your bike looks nice and clean for the most part . Give it a detailed A-Z cleaning and wax it up . You would be surprised how just a few hours of spit and shine can improve the value of your bike ! Good luck and don't forget the Facebook Forums . Cheers .
- Ron
nigelrb

Erm, yes, apologies to Glenn. I was in UK mode and not 'global' mode!!

Whilst it's now academic, just for info purposes the 'MoT' is the abbreviated version of our Ministry of Transport annual road worthiness certificate. Every vehicle over three years old in UK (or England at least) must be certified as fit for road use. the vehicle will be accessed by registered technicians.Cost is £30.00 (approx $50.00)

The 'SORN' is a 'Statutory Off Road Notification' and allows us to store our vehicle without paying registration and road tax fees. Many of us as collectors will have our daily rides registered for road use, but our 'specials' on stands and notified as 'SORN'. The is a simple online process to re-register and pay road taxes. This has no impact upon insurance, but there are specific 'theft only' or 'classic bike' policies to cover stored bikes.

The 'horrors' I spoke of were indeed related to condition. There are many who try to cash in on the classic bike phenomena and think that their VF1000R with fairing scrapes, 4 into 1 exhausts, Brembos, and other non-original mods will set the hearts of collectors fluttering. Most of us don't want that.

You bike, Glenn, appears to be an unpolished gem. I would think about keeping it, but if not, as Ron says, 'wax it up' to maximise your return. I know a member on this forum who might be interested. I shall point him to this post.
Skippy

Thank you both for your replies.

Yeah, I'll clean it up so I can take some proper pics to get it sold. Part of me would love to keep it, but I know I'm not going to put the time and care necessary to bring it back to something I'm going to hit the road with. Even if I did, I'm not sure I would do much riding at this point in my life.

Please do point your friend to this post. I would love to have someone who appreciates the VFs get it.

I typically stay away from Facebook (not much of a fan of social media) but I do have an account from years ago. Can't access it though as it wants me to prove my identity by either contacting some people I haven't talked to in years or sending a pic of an ID, which I would prefer not to do. Maybe I'll find a way to check out those forums.

Anyway, I really do appreciate both of you providing some feedback.

-Glenn
nigelrb

Hi Glenn

I did refer my Canadian friend to your bike, but he is presently reducing his fleet.

I think you can be reasonably assured that only enthusiasts will buy this sort of bike now. Whilst a appreciate all things motorcycling, I sure hate it to be turned into a 'streetfighter'. Choose your buyer wisely!! :mrgreen:
Skippy

Thanks nigelrb for the follow up. I agree, I would very much prefer someone by it who appreciates these bikes.

-Glenn
RC30FREAK

Hey Glenn ,

Any luck selling your bike yet ? I have not seen this board in sometime now . Just to return the compliments as well I think Nigel gave you some decent advice too ! OK , let us know please . If you or the future owner needs anything please don't hesitate to contact me here on the Forum . Cheers , Ron
9 posts Page 1 of 1