supporting the bike while the forks are off

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

5 posts Page 1 of 1
tfmktm

Hi all, what is the best way to support the mighty VF1KR while the forks are off for paint?

We have two front stands: one that supprts the bike via the fork tubes (won't work for obvious reasons), and the other supports the bike with a stem that goes into the bottom of the triple tree. We can't use that because one of the radiators and subsequent hoses, plus whatever else is stored around the headlight blocks that entry point.

Do we use floor jacks and hope it doesn't tip over? Do we get to remove all of the stuff to get to the triple tree?

Thanks in advance!
vfrrider

When I replaced the front end, I supported the bike with a jack (and blocks, etc.) under the headers/oil pan so the front raised and the rear tire still touched the floor.

Be gentle and it will be OK. A 2X4 under the bike with eye bolts and tie downs gives you a lot of side-side support.

Larry
VFRrider
jamiedaugherty

I use a LP front stand most of the time. If I have to remove the triples I string it up with a strap from the ceiling. A jack under the engine works too but I only use this as a last resort because it's really unstable.
lepto

i used a transmission jack and some wood to hit the frame rails on either side with a bottle jack for support. i wish i took a photo of this - it looked like impending disaster! i want to get one of those stem lifts you mentioned for the next time.
jamiedaugherty

lepto wrote:
I want to get one of those stem lifts you mentioned for the next time.
That's probably a good idea!
5 posts Page 1 of 1