Rising water temp. at low speeds and cold oil cooler

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

6 posts Page 1 of 1
robert

Hi All,

I've been experiencing that below about 30-40 kmh (especially in hot weather in stop'n go traffic) the coolant temperature starts rising quickly. That goes back to normal as I can ride constant speed for a half a minute or so. (I installed a cooling fan switch, and I turn on the fans manually.) Anybody experienced the same?

And another thing: I've noticed that the oil cooler in a lot cooler than eg. the oil pan. Can it be that no oil cooler fouled and it causes some heat bulidup?
Anybody noticed this? Should I disassemble and check whether oil can circulate? R.
Last edited by robert on Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
trikedude

yep me to,
also fitted a manaul fan switch
VF1000R

Make that me 3 with the manual fan switch!
mcmanus111

I installed a lited fan switch, solved all heating problems. The lighted switch is nice, a little trickiy getting it wired right.
mcmanus111
tonupcafe

I just bought an 85 and i am having the same problem the bike seems to run rough when it gets hot , like the plugs are fouling is this the same problem and any hints on installing a manuall switch electrics is not my strong point but i ussually get through .

Dave
jamiedaugherty

My opinion is that a manual switch is not good. If everything is working properly you do not need a manual switch. If that helps, it's only a band-aid which is masking a bigger problem. If you don't address that problem it will only get worse to point that your switch won't help.

A good clean radiator and properly working thermostat are pretty much all that you need. I've never had any problems with my VF's. That said, they all run pretty hot but not outside the 'design' limits.
6 posts Page 1 of 1