stock MAIN JET size?

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

4 posts Page 1 of 1
lepto

is the stock MAIN JET size 105? i don't know if the previous owner fiddled with 'em at all and trying to figure out what's happening in there.

thanks,
chris
lepto

ok, so i got my carbs off and check 'em out and i've got 122 MAIN jets and 38 IDLE/SLOW jets - keep in mind i have twin Yoshi exhaust on this baby.

i'm experiencing stalls when i come to a stop and i can barely get to 100mph at WOT and when i hit the ton, it just sits there and goes no more. i'm thinking the SLOW jets are too small causing the stalling and the 122 are too small for the WOT in high gear. i thought 40 was stock for SLOW and something smaller than 122 for MAINs - it's seems wierd that someone would put larger MAINs and smaller SLOWs??

-chris
Last edited by lepto on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lepto

i found a guy selling a carb kit for 85-86 VF1000R on ebay and it comes with 125 MAIN and 38 SLOW. looks like the PO i got the bike from put the Yoshis on and went DOWN a size on the mains for whatever reason?!?? i'm going to bung some 130s in there and see what happens + get a 40 idle jet'n see if that takes care of my stalling when i come to a stop...
lepto

ok, so here's what i did today:

i took the carbs off one of my other beasts running an open 4-1 Supertrapp with 130 MAIN + 38 SLOW. it runs like a bat out of hell so i figured i'd bung them on the problem bike and see if that makes any diff.

result: no difference. still creeps to 100mph and then just sits there with the throttle pinned.

now i'm thinking it could be a fuel pump problem - maybe it's clogged. it still boggs down when taking off unless i rev the piss out of it and it boggs through gears unless i'm revving.

i'm going to swap the fuel pumps and see what happens now. then i'm going to try what i found in an old thread:
Pauly wrote:
my first assumption is the secondary side of the ignition system is failing. That would be plugs, and wires. Other things to check after that would be:
1. Ignition control unit
2. Incorrect starter clutch installation
3. Incorrect pulse generator air gap
4. Faulty pulse generator
i'm pretty sure it's not the pulse generators though - when they go, the whole engine cuts out - not just slagging off the top end, right?

(wow, i have a pretty active thread here - too bad it's all me - i guess it's theraputic and helps me when i have to type it up, step back and read what i'm going through :))
4 posts Page 1 of 1