Difficult to start when motor is warm

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

7 posts Page 1 of 1
BuyItNow

Hi,my 1986 VF1000R is really difficult to start when warm. It sounds as if the starte motor just barely turns around. The battery is fully charged, so there shoud be enough power to both turn the starter and give enough spark to the plugs. Any tip for improvement?
lepto

yeah, i have the same problem - i have two of these bikes and they both do the same thing. help us please - Jamie??
jamiedaugherty

That's pretty common. To give yourself the best possible chance of success, make sure the following are in good order:

- Battery
- Starter brushes
- Wiring, especially the grounds

Most of my VF's have cranked slowly when hot, so I'm not sure you can get it to go away completely.
BuyItNow

Thanks for the feedback. I have ordered new starter brushes. I did buy this battery from MotoBatt: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Battery- ... ccessories

and it is a noticeable improvement when starting.
BuyItNow

A friend of mine with the same bike has recently undertaken a modification of the starter. As the motor warms up the part of the starter motor that is connected to the frame (and providing earth/ground), the part extends and earth/ground is reduced to the starter. This seems to be the main reason why it is so difficult to start the bike after it is warmed up. I attach a picture showing how the modification was done on his bike. I will undertake the same modification myself after summer and will update you accordingly.
Courageous

Buyitnow - did this mod help at all? Ian
86FANINPHILLY

I just recently replaced the brushes and sanded away the black paint on the starter housing where the bolts go through. Definite improvement with my slow crank when hot condition. Same fast cranking speed now cold or hot.
7 posts Page 1 of 1