Clutch Woes

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

4 posts Page 1 of 1
MarkF

I have been having a few problems with my clutch.
Ever since I bought the bike I have found that after leaving the bike overnight that by the morning the clutch would not release. If I tried to to start the bike it would clunk and stall when I put it in gear. I got into the habit of putting it in gear before starting it and rocking it backwards and forwards to free the clutch before starting it and that would stop it from stalling. Anyway I was in the shop that I bought the bike from and told them of this problem and they offered to look at it. What they found was that it had ferodo clutch plates in it with one extra plate added as the ferodo plates are apparently thinner. This was making the clutch pack too thick as the pushrod was adjusted to the max. So what they ended up doing was removing one plate and inserting a shim to bring the pack back to the correct thickness. So what I find now is that I have a clutch that shudders on take off. The guys in the shop are a bit stumped so I thought I would post it here to see of anyome has any ideas.
Thanks in advance
jamiedaugherty

I've never heard that about the Ferodo clutch plates. I'd try putting everything back together with extra parts, shims, etc and see what happens. Better yet, go with a new EBC or Vesrah set just to be sure.
MarkF

Thanks Jamie. I was hoping you would say its something really simple and you can fix it by doing this.
I will keep asking around and see what I can come up with
jamiedaugherty

Agreed - simple is the place to start. Try a new clutch set and see what happens.
4 posts Page 1 of 1