California bike

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

5 posts Page 1 of 1
1000rluvr

Hi all,

Just bought an 86 from California. I was wondering if I could take the extra emmisions crap off that comes with a California bike without any dire consequences.
Thanks
John
mcmanus111

Hey John. I have a '85 California VF1000r (20000 miles). When I broke my bike down to refurbish, I took those two canisters off. I routed the input hose inmto the output hose and continued to run the output to the top breather nipple from the tank. Its just a vapor treatment system for the pariond CA DMV. Mine works fin without them and I lost a little weight. Its easy to take off. Try it and see. You can calways put it back on. I've lived in CA for most my life and have "modified" exhast systems continually. Good luck!
mcmanus111
rrjockey

Don't throw the emission stuff away. If you ever try to sell it a California owner will need it.
vfrcapn

rrjockey wrote:
Don't throw the emission stuff away. If you ever try to sell it a California owner will need it.
California doesn't do emissions testing or equipment checks on motorcycles. I've done several titles in CA and they're only concerned with frame and engine numbers.
rrjockey

vfrcapn wrote:
California doesn't do emissions testing or equipment checks on motorcycles. I've done several titles in CA and they're only concerned with frame and engine numbers.
Does that mean a CA resident can only own a SC161 or can they own any SC16*?
5 posts Page 1 of 1