To flush or not???

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Courageous

SORRY JAMIE FOR THE " OIL RELATED" POST..........

K here goes - think most of you now know the history of my machine, sat with 70 miles on the clock for some 18 years in former owners lounga an all. Well I am suffering some of the likely issues with that such as rust in tank, carb issue etc etc.

Now, I'm due the 600 mile service and plan to use a semi synth oil as recommended here BUT should I take the opportunity to flush the oil system through or even consider using an oil additive such as wynn's on this oil change? My concern is that the small hole which feeds the oil to the cams may have become gummed up over time. Do you think this is likely? I swear on the odd occasion during my 100 mile ride last weekend I heard a little rattle and obviously wondered??? I plan to do the dave dodge oil mod number 2 but the parts haven't arrived from the ststes yet so in the meantime what would you guys do?

All opinions and help appreciated. - Ian
jamiedaugherty

I tell you what I would do - not run semi synth. Just regular old GN4 is all that you need!
Courageous

Hehe! I knew I might FLUSH you out Jamie....... :lol:

Ok but what about my concerns over the oil passageway? Use an agent to flush or an additive or not?
jamiedaugherty

Don't worry about it, I've never heard of an oil passage getting plugged like that.
Courageous

Brilliant. Thanx Jamie. My obvious fear comes from the paranoia over the cams. I read somewhere that the reason for all these oil mods stems from the original oil passageway being tiny. Hence I was concerned that it may become blocked with a bike standing so long......

Out of interest do you advocate one of the dave dodge oil mods on an 85-86 bike and if so which one of the three options?

Ian
jamiedaugherty

The oil modification I suggest is the main oil gallery type. I do not like the oil filter plate type kits. A detail of my thoughts on this topic can be seen on this page from my old site: http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/faq.html .

The oil passages being small is not the issue, by the way.
6 posts Page 1 of 1