She's finally done!

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Hopit88

The rebuild is done.

The start of the build is here...
http://www.vf1000r.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=269

I got the frame painted and started putting it all back together. The carbon fiber surround looks way better than the scratched up one.

I ran the rear brake line through the swingarm to keep things tidy.

I had to relocate the R/R,fuel pump, and shock remote due to the exhaust. Everything on and either painted or reconditioned.

The '83 V45 tank with the CBR cap.

Since I was after a Freddie Spencer NS500/Endurance RVF look, I glassed in the headlight opening and added a single projector.

I re-enforced the tail with Carbon Fiber and decided to leave a bit showing for fun.

LED brake lights and turn signals are bright.

Finished shots. Now I can relax for awhile.

VF1000R

Thats one hell of a face lift from the previous look, nice work Hopit.

Getting back to my previous query, how does she ride with the work you have done on the suspension and steering?

Nice work.
lunterennetherlands

Man what a beauty :D
You have made a very special and beautiful bike.

Regards,
Wout.
Hopit88

VF1000R wrote:
Thats one hell of a face lift from the previous look, nice work Hopit.
Getting back to my previous query, how does she ride with the work you have done on the suspension and steering?
Nice work.
Yea, she looks quite different now but I think it could pass for a factory scheme. She rides nice. Swapping out the 16" front wheel is always a must for improving the front. The 51 brakes are amazing, it took some getting use to. The only problem with the 51 front end is, you lose a bit of steering lock from the 51's shorter offset. That's a pain in tight quarters but once under way, you never notice it. It does take a 10 point turn to turn it around in the garage. Overall, it handles nice. I don't flog it on the street(anymore) but it's possible it might have some short comings on the track but I doubt it. The VFR swingarm ties directly to the frame instead of hanging from that wimpy, right side cage, so it's definitely more solid back there. I have to remedy a high idle issue but for the most part, she runs well, I'm very happy with how it turned out.
lunterennetherlands wrote:
Man what a beauty :D
You have made a very special and beautiful bike.
Regards,
Wout.
Thanks!
CB350G

That is Great! Very, Very nice Bike. I Like! Great Job! Rick
Shawnmoynihan

Impressive !! Nice to see a custom that looks factory ! ;o)

Shawn M.
o.c.f.rider

WOW! That is a beautiful job you've done on that bike.

Chris
Hopit88

In my never ending quest to fight modding boredom and to lose my 28 year old stock coils, I decided to try some modern stick coils on the old girl. I haven't seen it done on the 1st gens so I didn't have much to go on. I bought a set from a CBR along with a harness...$40. Wired in series, they ohm out almost exactly as the stockers. A buddy has 10k miles on a set on his Connie with the same ignition system as my R with no issues so I figured WTH.

First I made a custom harness using the CBR connectors.

I needed to seal the coil in the spark plug opening so I grabbed a grommet from the PO...

and trimmed off one of the flanges.

Here's how it seals in the hole...nice and tight.

On the inlines, the valve cover helps hold the coil in place, but the R's head is dished out around the plug so I needed to steady the coil. I cut some heater hose and made a sleeve to wedge the coil into the head.
Rock solid now.

Fronts.
You can see another reason why I went with an updated rad fan(works great by the way), stock fans would hit the coils but the slim line one is no problem after a small modification.

Rears.
I temporarily tucked everything away for the test run. I'll make a carbon fiber plate where the old coils use to be to tie down the cables/connections.

It starts and runs great, all the way to redline. I've got about 100 miles on it and all seems normal. Some claim better starting, better response, blah blah blah. I really just wanted to lose the old coils, pay less money for an upgrade and just see if I could do it.

Some may ask why, but I feel it's more fun in life asking why not.
VF1000R

That is an impressive piece of work there, what's next on the never ending list of mods?

:D
Hopit88

VF1000R wrote:
That is an impressive piece of work there, what's next on the never ending list of mods?
:D
There's always a next but I have completed a few recently. I bought a very low mile radiator since mine was very long in the tooth. The fins on the new one were perfect. I took it to a radiator shop for a flush just to be safe. The guy did a great job and even freshened it up with a misting of black radiator paint...it looked brand new.

In putting together the RC51 front end, the stock rad screen was removed just to get that extra bit of clearance. Now with the custom triples, there's no worries of contact with the fender. As I was looking at the stock screen, it was looking kind of faded with some flaws here and there, so I decided to hunt down some screen material.

While pouring through some options online(none of which I liked), I noticed a filing tray on my desk. It had black screen material and looked like it wouldn't block much air. So...out came the snips.

The cool part is, it has rows of rounded ridges across the face for strength which gives it a nice detail rather than just a piece of flat mesh. I gently slid in a wide putty knife along the edges to make room for the mesh then gently squeezed the edges back down to hold it. It's rock solid and has no flex at all. We'll see how long it lasts outdoors but in the meantime, I think it looks pretty good

I had a custom set of triples made. They have a 45mm offset and the upper openings are 54mm to take my custom riser inserts. The R's offset is 50 and the CBR's that I was running is 30. The 30 is just too small for the early VF. Steering radius was horrible. This should bring things back closer to acceptable. I still need to work out the steering stop situation. The previous stop was the frame!

Here's a pic of the triples installed. I hit them with some ScotchBrite to give them a more brushed look. Still have to button things down but you get the idea. Added a metal Honda logo for kicks.
Also reworked my VF/CBR tank vent. The old one was venting under the fill and I didn't like it, it weeped some fuel on to the neck which sat there and ate the paint. This one should be good to go.

Lastly...Without exception, the original fans are the most antiquated part of my bike now. They look old and have cycled on and off for 100k+ miles over 28 years. They MUST be dog tired. I've seen some guys replacing their stock fans or complimenting the stock fan with a Spal made slim fan. I decided to try a pair to see if I notice any difference in cooling.

The plug is even the same for a 28 year old bike...who would have guessed?

They are the 5.2" and measure out at 5.5" with the housing. They definitely pull a lot more air than the stockers so I thought that 2 were over kill. The stockers are housed in a metal shroud that is full of gaps and holes and it doesn't seat tight against the fins while the Spal's sit down tight with all available suction going to pulling air through the radiator. The difference is night and day in pulling power so my thought is...one will be enough?

If you look at a modern CBR radiator, the fan is tiny compared to the surface area of the radiator...like 1/5th to 1/6th of the surface?

Seems like a really strong fan covering 1/3rd to 1/4(counting the upper rad as well) would be fine.
Mock up on spare radiator.

I have 2 and can certainly mount both I'm just thinking why rob extra juice while in slow traffic when 1 will suffice. I've got a few hundred miles on the one fan and it seems to work just fine and it's been quite hot this summer.
unbalanced

You continue to impress - Very nice Kel!
Hopit88

Thanks bud.
Straycat

Im new here, but had to stop in on this thread and say what an incredible job. Nicely done
13 posts Page 1 of 1