wont rev above 6000

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

10 posts Page 1 of 1
richievf1000r

Hello everyone, new member, just bought a 84 vf1000r. On the way home (245 miles ) I discovered that upon reaching 6000 revs approx 85 mph, the bike felt like it had hit a wall, wooly feeling like an ignition cut out, I was able to change down and rev through it and then it wizzed round to about 10,000 when I changed back to 5th and slowed down. Could this be a faulty ignition cut out, it seems to be at half revs ii.e.6000 instead of 11,800 as stated in the manual.
Its very pronounced unlike fuel starvation but I dont know. Can anyone help? Thanks, Richie
richievf1000r

Newsflash, It would appear that I have bought "the austrian bike mentioned in 2005, Chris in Gloucester, Journey7777" but it certainly isnt 100bhp restriction. It happens suddenly at about 80/85 and about 6000 revs, it makes you wonder about people though doesnt it.
glegge

it's not a blocked fuel filter or faulty fuel pump is it? that could cause a bit of a lack of power at revs.. tried new plugs?
Pauly

If you're able to change down and break through it, my first assumption is the secondary side of the ignition system is failing. That would be plugs, and wires. Other things to check after that would be:
1. Ignition control unit
2. Incorrect starter clutch installation
3. Incorrect pulse generator air gap
4. Faulty pulse generator

If it gets to this point, it's probably time to get a manual on ebay and make a weekend of it with a VOM meter. If you aren't sure how to use a VOM, it maybe time to take it to a shop.
glegge

there is a manual on my web site. http://gavweb.dts.net.nz/VF1000R
it has trouble shooting in the back pages.. may be worth a look and save you money on ebay.

cheers
glegge

oh yeah, check the regulator/rectifier unit to make sure it's not playing up. mine broke enough to cause the bike to miss-fire. it took me ages to find it but after replacing the battery (it was dead) and checking the charging system (was outputting low dc volts AND some AC into the electrical system) and replacing the reg/rect unit the missfire went away.
you could have a similar problem.
richievf1000r

Hi Guys, sorry for the delay but I have left it alone for a while. How would an incorrectly fitted starter clutch affect the engine performance, i ask because the previous owner did alledgedly fit a new starter clutch as the original one had teeth missing, also he has fiddled with the carbs, it does pull like a train until about 6000 revs and then runs fluffy as if it is running on two pots, change down and it will eventually pull through it and away up to max revs.
Thanks for your help up to now and I look forward to hearing from you. Richie
lepto

hi there,

i'm having the same prob with my '87 CBR600 Hurricane. i don't think it's the pulse generators. when those go, the whole bike craps out through all revs. does it have aftermarket pipes? this Hurricane i got does and i'm thinking the guy didn't up-jet it and maybe it's starving it of fuel. not sure though.

cheers,
chris
jamiedaugherty

lepto wrote:
hi there,

i'm having the same prob with my '87 CBR600 Hurricane. i don't think it's the pulse generators. when those go, the whole bike craps out through all revs. does it have aftermarket pipes? this Hurricane i got does and i'm thinking the guy didn't up-jet it and maybe it's starving it of fuel. not sure though.

cheers,
chris
When the pulse generators start going bad they often quit working only when hot. At engine temperatures below normal operating they will work fine. This is really frustrating, but a common failure mode.
lepto

i think this is the most likely path to follow:
Pauly wrote:
If you're able to change down and break through it, my first assumption is the secondary side of the ignition system is failing. That would be plugs, and wires. Other things to check after that would be:
1. Ignition control unit
2. Incorrect starter clutch installation
3. Incorrect pulse generator air gap
4. Faulty pulse generator

If it gets to this point, it's probably time to get a manual on ebay and make a weekend of it with a VOM meter. If you aren't sure how to use a VOM, it maybe time to take it to a shop.
i'm having some trouble that seems similar and going to look into all this + keep you posted (i know this is an old thread)
10 posts Page 1 of 1