Oh No, what have I done???

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hopit88

I told myself no new projects for awhile. I don't even know why I was looking but came across an ad for 3 R's. One '86 that runs and 2 '85's, one supposedly runs. Also included was a ton of spare parts. I called the guy to make sure it wasn't a typo. Before I could fully understand what was happening, I was on my way for a 2 hour ride with trailer in tow.

How many R's fit in a 5x10 trailer?
Exactly 3.

I almost didn't have room for everything.

A lot of body parts, some rough, some ok.(I'm amazed at the money people on Ebay are asking for rashed R panels) A clean tank. 2 sets of carbs. A really nice stock exhaust.(1 bike has a set of Yoshi slipons that will clean up nicely). A nice red seat along with a black one. Clean gauges with 4100 miles on it. A straight rear wheel. Clean radiators. Really nice turn signals that look like they were removed when new. Boxes of other stuff, new fork seals, new starter rebuild kit, etc. There's so much to go through, I don't even know what all's there. The guy kept remembering stuff while we were loading and running off somewhere to find it.

History will decide if it was a killer deal at $1500 but I'm fairly sure today that I'm psyched. I bet the right buyer would snag the '86 as she sits for $1500 but I'm going to go through her an bring it back to as close to factory fresh as possible if not a good daily rider. The 2 '85's should make 1 good one. Not sure if that will be stock or a mild resto-mod.

Anyway, I'm off to inventory the rest of the haul.

Quick vid of the '86 running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=190ObSy-SdA
thx113

Stop boasting on all these sites. I am envious enough as it is.
The running bike would get $3000-4500 here, each of the others $1500 - 2000.
You still haven't told me where to send my 1000R for the secret rebuild for my 50th.
RC30FREAK

Hey ,

I am interested in whatever parts you may wish to sell . Always looking for stuff to finish off my projects . PM me if you are interested . Also I have some very hard to find brand new OEM NOS parts you may need one day too for your projects . Thanks and cheers.
Ron
Hopit88

I'm still going through stuff Ron. It will take me some time to figure out what goes to the bikes and what is extra. I will definitely keep you in mind when the time comes to sell/buy.

Take care. Kelly
RC30FREAK

Hey Kelly ,

Cool no problem . I can see you will have some work cut out for you with all that treasure ! Good buy . You can't go wrong with all that stuff . Also good work BTW with your other Super VF1000R you created . That is quite the bike . Sounds awesome too . And all the mods you've done quite amazing . Plus the compatability of Honda to Honda articles is neat too . Quite interesting how Honda parts from different eras are able to be brought together with a little bit of modification .
After I complete a few stock restorations I intend on building an hommage to the RS850/FWS1000 bikes . I already have an idea of what I want to do : It won't be exact as there are a few rather ugly things on the RS in my opinion like the way the mufflers finish up as well as the too squared off back end it has . I want to combine the look of Joeys bike with the model they used for the endurance races I believe the RS920 . My goal an aluminum frame hand built by my welder from work as well as a hand crafted aluminum fuel tank . I will use a stock VF1000R motor and couple it with some HRC RC30 parts such as upper and lower rads , HRC tacho & water temp guages too . Might use some of Thorsten Durbahns tricks (of RC30 fame...) to lighten up the engine a bit too . Finally will do a front fairing as close to RS as possible with maybe a modifed RC30 tail (like the RS920) then don't need separate sidecovers and it will finish off to a nice end . Mufflers might be 4 separate pipes like the RS500..... Luckily dreaming is cheap . Making it a reality....a little more expensive ! Good luck with your inventory & keep me posted .
Cheers,
Ron
Hopit88

Sounds ambitious Ron, I'll be watching.
6 posts Page 1 of 1