1985 VF1000R seat removal

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

5 posts Page 1 of 1
qdog1016

Please help. I for the life of me cannot get the seat off of this bike. I've removed the two black side screens, the four screws surrounding the tail lights, the two hex screws
holding the rear cowl. I've been under this bike and I don't see any other screws or bolts holding the seat. Do I have to remove the rear fairing? :shock:
VF1000R

The seat, side & rear panels come off as one complete unit.
Under the rear wheel arch you have 2 nuts plus the 2 large side panel screws and that's it.
Just slide the complete assembly backwards to remove.
20141111_111358.jpg
20141111_111442.jpg
qdog1016

Found them just over the tire. Thanks :D
thx113

Good on you for asking the question.
The other method of seat removal which appears to be near universal is to wrench at the tail cowl until it snaps in half.
I have seen many on ebay and for sale locally like that.
kx250rider

Whatever you do, always be VERY careful with that tail fairing. It's 30 years old and VERY brittle, and one false move and it'll be in pieces. I find that once the two nuts are removed, and the two side screws and black covers off, (and on the '85, you must remove the tail light surround first), you take hold of the seat strap with one hand, and gently hold the tail at the top above the tail light, and wiggle it up & rearward. The two studs that held the underneath nuts must be up out of their holes before the seat and cowl will slide back and unhook. Also beware that the front bottom corners of the cowl sometimes get hung up on the screw sockets of the frame, so you might have to help the cowl past those places.

Charles
5 posts Page 1 of 1