Fuel Tank problems

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

3 posts Page 1 of 1
CB350G

I've had my 1985 VF1000R new since 85. I dented the tank long time ago and replaced it with a new one from Honda. I've also got RR's and other bikes. Over the years the 1000 hasn't been ridden much. That caused rust to build up inside the tank. I'm redoing the bike now and over the years have replaced the fuel petcock and gasket thinking that was why it won't free flow gas. The tank must have a smaller tank inside with baffling to prevent all of the 6 gallons shifting to one side in a turn. After draining the tank there was always a small amount of fuel I could never get out. Probably due to the baffling passageways being clogged with rust. I didn't want to use acetone as that is very strong. I've used vinegar and let it set overnight. That got it flowing again, however when I put gas in the tank it won't flow. I drained it again and still couldn't get all of the fuel out. To get the most of the fuel out I had to use a air hose and put a little air pressure in the tank. I again put in vinegar and let it set overnight. After draining it out I used 2 gallons of Evaporust and filled the rest up with water. I've done that twice each time it flows better. The problem with these tanks is because of the age they have gas that has turned into varnish and rust has built up in the internal baffling. Any issues you have with your fuel system you should start with making sure you have free flowing gas when you turn your petcock on then go from there down the line. I think it's best to use the fuel pump. I'm still soaking the tank so I'll post after I get it flowing good.
CB350G

I've been working on too many projects, (houses, turbos, motorcycles). Now getting back to getting the VF back on the road. I've got 2 fuel tanks. They both have some dings, but not bad. One no rust the other rust. 8) I used the Por 5 fuel tank repair kit. I haven't used the sealer yet, but did use the Marine Clean and the Metal Ready today on the fuel tank that had bad rust inside the tank. The Metal Ready works great. Really did a great job of cleaning out the rust. I'm going to do it again as I see some places I didn't get to. The tricky thing is getting all the water out of the tank after you flush it. I used a hair dryer but that wasn't working well. I stood it up so the remaining water would flow to the front of the tank. Then I used paper towels rolled like a cigar to get more. Then I put it in my car with the windows up, parked it in the sun and put the heater on full. That dryed it out. I won't be able to get back to it for a few weeks. I like that Metal Ready but use it with caution it's very toxic. I'll be back!
thx113

Could the rust be blocking the 4-5mm steel fuel lines which run in the tank to the fuel cock then to the fuel outlet pipe?
3 posts Page 1 of 1