Engine noise

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

7 posts Page 1 of 1
plook

Hi,

My VF1000R has been laid up for around 14years, prior to parking up the engine had developed a ticking noise which I think may be a small end bearing in one of the rear cylinders.
I now have the time and workspace to put the bike back on the road,I'm quite confident on carrying out work on the bike myself but have never stripped an engine. How easy / difficult are these engines to remove and strip, how difficult a job is it to replace a wee end bearing and if it's too much for me to tackle can anyone recommend anyone in the UK who could carry out this repair and check the engine for me while it's out?

Thanks, Ian
86FANINPHILLY

I've never had my engine apart but had to comment. It warms my heart that you've stored your VF1000R for FOURTEEN years with the intentions of getting her back on the road. It's something that is quite rare in today's disposable society. I do know that some owners have had upper engine noise due to cam and/or rocker arm wear. I wish you the best of luck in your restoration and hope another member can offer some advice.
RC30FREAK

Hey Ian ,

I am in Canada . I could offer you a nice decent running engine . However I assume you have a 1984 model European VF1000R ? If , however but some stroke of luck you happen to have a 1985 model North American one I could be of assistance . Even with sea shipment the motor could pay for itself . Just an idea . It came from a nice running bike with about 48 000 kms on it...... PM me if your're interested or you need any other parts that might fit your bike . Thanks. Cheers ,
Ron
plook

86FANINPHILLY wrote:
I've never had my engine apart but had to comment. It warms my heart that you've stored your VF1000R for FOURTEEN years with the intentions of getting her back on the road. It's something that is quite rare in today's disposable society. I do know that some owners have had upper engine noise due to cam and/or rocker arm wear. I wish you the best of luck in your restoration and hope another member can offer some advice.
Thanks,
The VF1000R was a bike I loved when I was younger but could never afford, I actually went with a guy at work to look at a z900 for him, the VF was in the showroom and I ended up buying it. I've owned it since 1995 and love everything about it, the way it looks and rides, I've had a few guys trying to buy it from me especially as prices are climbing but it will never be sold.

Cheers, Ian
plook

RC30FREAK wrote:
Hey Ian ,

I am in Canada . I could offer you a nice decent running engine . However I assume you have a 1984 model European VF1000R ? If , however but some stroke of luck you happen to have a 1985 model North American one I could be of assistance . Even with sea shipment the motor could pay for itself . Just an idea . It came from a nice running bike with about 48 000 kms on it...... PM me if your're interested or you need any other parts that might fit your bike . Thanks. Cheers ,
Ron
Thanks,
I'd rather stick with the original engine (27,000 miles) if possible. I'm in the UK and the bike was first registered on August 1st 1990, it's a VF1000RG and I'm assuming it's a UK bike although I'm not sure as how to find out for sure. I know they stopped making them earlier so assume that it was laid up unsold in a showroom as they were expensive and bikes like the GSXR had taken off (also cheaper - I opted for one of the first GSXR 750's and they were over £1000 cheaper here).
I hope that once the engine has been sorted out then it should be a relatively straight forward job of putting her back on the road but I will certainly be in touch if I require to replace any parts.
Cheers, Ian
thx113

Ticking could have been from the cam lobes or lifters.
Bearing shells are fairly hard to source.
plook

Thanks - I will check to see if that's the case.
7 posts Page 1 of 1