Dual headlight conversion issue

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

5 posts Page 1 of 1
oldslowguy

I'm almost finished the restore on my 85' VF1000R. The last bit of work is to install a dual headlight, replacing the original single unit. I was lucky and able to purchase the upper brackets(Honda parts were available), but not sure how to mount the lower part of that light within the light housing. I've not been able to find any schematic showing how these fit. I suspect that I'll have to weld some sort of sub-frame piece. Any help/pics would be appreciated. Brad
Thunder

I just did my recently a few months ago so kind of fresh in my head. Drill a hole on the bottom of your fairing stay, tap it then you can install a screw to secure the bottom of the headlight.

Here's a picture of what it should look like after sorry I have to look a little bit later to see if I have the actual picture of the hole I drilled:

Also don't worry once you put the 86 Grill on you can't see anything.

I also use an external hid wiring harness with relays for the headlight set up, which is pretty cool. It draws power directly from the battery and bypass the Factory harness. Very happy how bright the headlights came out but I am using High wattage bulbs too.

oldslowguy

Thanks Thunder.. I also bought the dual relay wiring, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'd really appreciate if you 'could' take a close up pic of the bottom of the light and where you drilled (hard for me to see from this pic). I was thinking that I'd have to weld up a small sub-frame - hoping that's not the case. Thanks again / Brad
Thunder

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:46 pmoldslowguy wrote:
I'm almost finished the restore on my 85' VF1000R. The last bit of work is to install a dual headlight, replacing the original single unit. I was lucky and able to purchase the upper brackets(Honda parts were available), but not sure how to mount the lower part of that light within the light housing. I've not been able to find any schematic showing how these fit. I suspect that I'll have to weld some sort of sub-frame piece. Any help/pics would be appreciated. Brad
Sorry Brad, I did not get to pulling off the fairing this weekend. Was fighting the carbs with it Sunday and it won most the battle. Hey I did find a picture of a stock faring stay. I put a white dot where I drill and tap the hole. Hope this helps.

oldslowguy

Thanks again Thunder - just on vaca (Hawaii - sucks to be me!). I thought that would be the spot. Really appreciate your help and will get this done when we return at the end-of-the-month... Regards / Brad
5 posts Page 1 of 1