1985 vf 1000 r “ tappety” / “ noisy” top end

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Danny156

Hi guys, I have recently imported a 1985 vf 1000 r with 24000 miles on the clock, there is a very distinct” tappety “ sounding rattle from the front two cylinders which increases with revs, any ideas? My local dealer thinks it’s too loud to be tappet adjustment but will look anyway, If it needs a top end strip down is there anyone you could recommend in the uk? I need someone who knows what they are doing , my local man may be able to do it but it may be too time consuming for him regards, Dan .
RC30FREAK

Hi Danny , welcome . You are lucky as the only sound these days on the boards is the sound of silence and crickets here in the dead of winter...well maybe Spring ..... ! OK so , yes it could be valves I hope for you it's only a tappet adjustment . However it could be more than that . I would suggest if so that you just find a decent running motor from another 1985 model . I am located in CANADA and I could and have exported stuff to the UK . A running replacement motor might be more economical than a rebuild. Plus the time to change out a complete motor is nothing in comparison to a complete rebuild with all labor , gaskets , etc... Check out what is going on . If you need any parts at all for 1985 model please don't hesitate to PM me and I will give you my e-mail addy to contact me . Good luck . Cheers . - Ron
Danny156

Many thanks Ron, I will await the verdict from my dealer and get back in touch, cheers, Dan.
RC30FREAK

Good Luck Dan . Happy Easter and cheers too .
4 posts Page 1 of 1