plastic inner rad airflow duct restore

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

3 posts Page 1 of 1
bille7

This thing was pretty badly scratched and oxidized but had no structural damage. None of the wipe on plastic renewal products put so much as a dent in the finish so I ended up using a heat gun to burn away the UV damage. I believe someone
that is a pro at doing this sort of thing could have maybe used the same heat gun to actually remove the scratches, too, but
since the plastic is a bit thin I worried about ruining the thing by overheating it. I ended up sanding out the scratches, finishing
up with #2000 grit paper. Of course the sanded areas had turned white and going over these with the gun again didn't seem to help much so I ended up refining the piece with 3 coats of Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer. It looks new again but I doubt if
products such as "Back to Black" can successfully be used on it.
Attachments
0326181307.jpg
0326181345.jpg
0330181427.jpg
RC30FREAK

Looks pretty good so far what you have done , nice job ! I found a trick from one of the VFR Forums . You take some paint thinner and some boiled linseed oil (DON'T try to boil it yourself...it comes already that way in the bottle !) . I think the dilution rate is 2 parts to 1 part , have to remember which way. Anyways it smells good and you rub it on like Armor-All . You let it soak in a little bit , then wipe off the excess . IT goes into the plastic and rehydrates it . I tried the blow dryer method ....saw some crazy dude on YouTube doing it . ..... Even outside it produces such toxic fumes you'll want to gag ! I actually used a heat gun like he did ...... You also take the chance that you warp your piece . Your method seems pretty solid though ! My method also works quote well for controls and the master cylinders to bring back the black to fairly shiny.......
bille7

Controls? oooOOoooo. Mine are faded quite badly but they're made of metal. You're saying you can bring those back?
thanks-
bll
3 posts Page 1 of 1