Front fender vs Speedo cable guide

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

10 posts Page 1 of 1
bille7

So I am getting ever closer to hammering the golden spike on this restoration. I notice the speedo cable just sort of going straight from the speedo into the wheel adapter and flapping in the breeze. A look at the OEM schematic shows a hole at the rear left side of the fender where a guide loop plugs in. The fender that came on my bike has no mounting hole in that
area so I searched the internet for other VF1000R fenders. There were 3 or 4 of them that showed that area clearly
enough to tell they ALSO did not have the hole. A hole could easily be drilled but really hate to do that unless it's absolutely necessary. Any info would be much appreciated!

thanks in advance-
bill
nigelrb

Hi there.

Just checked mine which is in outstanding original condition and it has no hole in the fender. There is a wire clip hung beneath the brake caliper. It seems the size/weight of the cable is sufficient to prevent it flapping about.
bille7

thank you!! Much appreciated-

bill
bille7

Just a quick follow up- the clip was there but it seems weird that there is not much else to secure the cable's lower half and it sort of droops and hangs out there. A few odds and ends and this one can be crossed off the list.
Attachments
0707181814.jpg
nigelrb

Hi again.

Mine's exactly like that, although my cable has a sort of outer reinforcing cable also to act as a strengthener. Can't get to my bike now, but I'll post a couple of pics for you tomorrow.
(Edited to include interim pic)

In the meantime, do you know the make of your paddock stand? I am having difficulty finding one with a long enough 'reach' to connect beyond the brake caliper. I have conventional bobbin and flat arm stands, but both are too short.

nigelrb

Further to above, here's the close-up. The routing inside the fairing stiffens and stabilises the cable. There is no to little chance of it flapping around. Hope this helps.

bille7

Awesome looking bike & thank you for the follow up and posting, I will take a look at the stand and post back tomorrow but it's a cheap one I picked up on ebay-

cheers,
bill
bille7

Nigel-

I'm afraid I have to embarrassingly report that my stand is so generic there is no label affixed to it. I went back thru my
ebay receipts for the past few years and don't see it in there so it's probably older than the earliest receipt in my folder.
Maybe it works because there is no cross bar in front of the handle to shorten it's reach, which appears to be about 29 inches.
I saw a similar one on Ebay which might be an updated version of the one I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Bik ... 0005.m1851

I'm afraid I wasn't much help )8
nigelrb

Thanks for your time and effort. You're correct about the lack of cross-bar - the reach is critical on our bikes.

Thanks for the link. I just look for similar on UK site and double check reach before purchasing.

Cheers again. I hope you get a few rides in before winter!!
bille7

Thank you! I measured the reach on mine which is about 29 inches or approx 73 cm and I hope your search has been successful!. We've seen some good riding weather over the past few weeks and am looking forward to riding until the end of October.

I hope things are going well there.!

Thanks,
bill

'78 Kaw Z1R TC, '80 Z1R, '80 Honda CBX, '86 GSXR 1100 (x3), '86 VF1000R
10 posts Page 1 of 1