Rear Shocker Problem.

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

3 posts Page 1 of 1
nigelrb

Hi all. A very sad day for me. Took my 'mint' VF (F series) sub 10,000 miles, for its annual roadworthy check (UK law) and it failed with a major defect for a seized rear shock OR linkage. Honda dealer (I use regularly and have faith in) can not diagnose properly until they pull it apart. No workshop vacancy until Oct 16 - which doesn't worry me as the bike is generally 'off road'.

Does any member know of any 'serial' problems in this area? My concern is that the bike had been stored for many years prior to coming into my possession. (Was from deceased estate) There is no rust evident ANYWHERE on bike. Can a shocker seize from non use? I must add that I hadn't noticed when riding. I have my other bikes set hard and the VF does so few miles I didn't notice at all. Conclusion there is that I'm totally insensitive (which my former wives would not dispute :roll: ) or I'm just a crap rider! Cheers!
Straycat

I know they are not well regarded rear shocks Nigel, every one tells me to get rid of the one on my project(s) and replace it with a decent aftermarket unit. Im not aware of seizure issues on the shock /shaft but i know that most of the old shocks on these bikes see the adjuster mechanism seize up (3 of my 4 bikes the adjusters were seized). If you sit on the bike does the back end sag or does it stay rigid. ?

if its the linkage, that could seize up i guess, its not hard to take that apart, clean, lube and re-install.

its not hard to remove the shock either, just time consuming.

have you tried backing off the air pressure and the pre load ? is it possible it was set so hard the garage mechanic thought it was seized ? (seems unlikely)
nigelrb

Thanks Mr Cat!

The good things with some forums is that they might be quiet, but when someone reaches out for help there is always a prompt response.

Yes, the rear is rigid.

Will look at pressures and preload tomorrow.

Cheers!!
3 posts Page 1 of 1