trouble returning to idle

Looking for some mechanical advice or sharing your own tales of the workshop wonder.

Moderator: VF1000R

8 posts Page 1 of 1
lepto

ok so on my '86 i'm having a problem getting it to return to idle normally.

i've taken apart the carbs 4 times and cleaned everything with carb cleaner and blown it all out with compressed air.

still, when i rev it, it just slowly returns to idle.

when riding and i pull in the clutch to shift, the revs hold then slowly drop.

my first guess with this problem would be idle jets but i've cleaned them like crazy. anyone??

thanks,
chris
Courageous

Hi Lepto - when you refitted the carbs did you run a check on the sliders? Sounds to me like one or more of the sliders is taking longer to sit down again after you roll back the throttle. Failing this it might be an air leak.......
CoastRider

Hi Lepto,
Sounds like air leak between carbs and heads. Get can of WD40 and squirt it around the intake rubbers while its ticking over. If there is a leak then the engine will suck the WD in and the engine revs will increase for a few seconds.
Good luck.
Andy
vfrrider

Could be as simple as the throttle cable not releasing smoothly. Check them and either clean and lube or replace.

Larry
VFRrider
lepto

hey guys,

thanks for the quick replies. i'm not sure how to check the function of the slides apart from opening them up. and i'm going to try that wd-40 check for sure. as for the cables, they're in great shape and move smooth and crisp so i'm ruling that out.

cheers,
chris
Courageous

How did you get on in the end Chris? This Carb Cleaning page gives some good advice from Dave Dodge. I think if you remove the airbox you should be able to lift the sliders with your fingers and watch the speed with which they drop. Can't be 100% on that though as I have yet to strip mine down.

HTH - Ian
lepto

well, after disassembling the slides, i found the tip of one of my needles was broken off. i have a donor set of carbs from an F model and the needle has a clip+washers whereas the R models are fixed. i plunked it in and still have a bit of trouble returning to idle. i'm trying to source an R model needle as i'm sure that F model is causing a little trouble.

cheers,
chris
Courageous

Hi again Chris. You or I must be jinxed. Its still early days for my bike yet and I've been having probs with my carbs too with her being stood for so long I guess. My problem WAS rough running and lack of power. I was on a run last weekend and decided to wind in the idle screw as I was riding along. That seemed to help the running until I changed gear and guess what???? Slow returning to idle hehe! Now I have to get my thinking cap out........
8 posts Page 1 of 1